Georgian is now a smoking-free institution. Here are the top four reasons for this policy shift.
- We care about you and your health. Medical evidence confirms second-hand smoke is a health hazard. Our decision to go smoking-free reflects our commitment to provide a clean, healthy and safe environment in which to work and learn.
- We want to be on the right side of this trend. Under the Smoke Free Ontario Act, hospitals, restaurants and public playgrounds are already smoke free. Elementary and secondary school properties are also 100 per cent smoke free under this legislation. Colleges and universities across the Canada have gone, or are going, smoking free as well.
- We want to end the litter. For years, cigarette butts have covered campus green spaces — particularly near designated smoking areas. They’re unsightly and full of harmful chemicals. In addition, most filters aren’t biodegradable.
- We already have resources in place to help manage smoking. If you’re a Georgian employee or student who is looking to quit, manage cravings, cut back, or stay committed to quitting, we have resources to help you achieve your goals. Check out GeorgianCollege.ca/smokingfree for more information.
If you have questions about the new procedure, implemented on May 6, 2019, check out these FAQs or email email@example.com. This information is brought to you by Georgian’s Smoking-Free Working Group.
Look for a booth with information about the new policy as well as helpful cessation resources and free snacks! Here are booth dates by campus:
- Barrie, Muskoka and Owen Sound campuses May 6
- South Georgian Bay campus May 6 to 10
- Midland, Orangeville and Orillia campuses May 9