Students who thrive at college tend to have similar habits. Georgian’s student advisors share what makes them stand out.
Successful students tend to:
- Go to class, even when tempted to hit the snooze button.
- Stay on top of readings and assignments.
- Ask questions and participate in class.
- Regularly review and reflect on course material.
- Focus on one thing at a time rather than multitasking.
- Divide assignments and projects into small chunks rather than trying to get them done all at once.
- Keep organized and block out time in their calendar for studying and fun.
- Read assignments or tests from top to bottom before starting them.
- Adapt – expectations in one course may be different from another.
- See feedback as an opportunity to improve rather than as a failure.
- Get help – tutoring, counselling, accessibility services, research advice or meeting with their advisor.
- Talk to their profs and get clarification on assignments.
- Eliminate distractions when needed, especially social media.
- Take care of themselves (proper sleep, healthy eating, exercise).
- Are familiar with their campus and services offered.
- Get involved outside class, whether at Georgian or in the community.
Georgian students should log into the student portal to review all the Student Services Georgian offers.
This article was originally published in September 2018. It was updated and re-shared in September 2019.