It’s not easy juggling school, work and other commitments, especially during a pandemic. Check out these tips from Georgian’s students advisors to help you with time management.
- Start with a time audit. Look at where you spend your time and why.
- Use a planner or download an app to keep organized. You can download the digital version of the Georgian College Students’ Association’s student planner, complete with fillable PDF pages. Please also read the news and announcements section on the student portal at the beginning of each semester for swag bag pickup dates as we find ways to safely distribute hard copies of the planner during the pandemic.
- Make a plan. The library has templates for reading, weekly and semester plans to help you stay on track.
- Know your deadlines and work toward them. At the beginning of each semester, map out what’s due and when.
- Complete the most important assignments first. Get the big things out of the way so they don’t weigh you down.
- Do one thing at a time. Multitasking makes it hard to focus.
- Find a quiet study space. Have a space dedicated to reading or reviewing material.
- Eliminate distractions. If you’re addicted to scrolling social media, leave your phone in another room.
- Break your assignments and projects into small chunks. Don’t try to do everything all at once. You’ll feel less pressure and avoid last-minute stress.
- Say goodbye to cramming. Break study sessions into 30 to 45 minute chunks over the span of a week or two instead.
- Learn to say no. Set clear boundaries and be clear on your priorities.
- Be strategic. If you have two assignments, one worth five per cent and the other worth 20 per cent, spend your time first on the one worth the most.
The reading plan
Watch this helpful video about creating a reading plan and then download the plan template from the Georgian Library website.
Your student advisor is here for you!
Your student advisor can help you build both academic and personal resilience. To book an appointment, please log in to the student portal. On the home page in the top left corner, you’ll see the name of your advisor and the times they’re available to meet. Alternatively, you can email us and your advisor will get back to you as soon as possible.
All student services
Be sure to check out all student services that are available to you by visiting the student services tab on the student portal.
This article was originally published in September 2019. It was updated and re-shared in February 2021.