Whether you’re coming to Georgian from half way around the world or just down the street, the start of the school year is a great time to meet new people. Your student advising team has put together a few suggestions to help you connect on campus:
- Join a club or association to meet peers with similar interests and hobbies. If you don’t see a club that interests you, you can also apply to create one.
- The Peer Mentors program is a fantastic way to meet an upper-year student who can show you the ropes around campus.
- Hit the gym and make some fitness friends. Fitness memberships are included in full-time student fees.
- Visit the Indigenous Resource Centres at the Barrie, Midland, Orillia and Owen Sound campuses to participate in a variety of activities.
- Show off your athletic skills by trying out for a varsity team or joining an extramural or intramural team with others who share the same passion for fitness and friendly competition.
- Make friends (and money) by finding a part-time job on campus. Also, check out this infographic or GCSA’s page for details on applying for a variety of positions.
- If you have a passion for leading, throw your name in the ring and run for an executive or director position in GCSA’s election which happens every January.
- Have fun and get involved in the community by volunteering your time for a great cause.
- Put yourself out there and attend fun college events like orientation, pub nights, game or movie nights and much more.
- Get to class early and strike up a conversation with your classmates.
- Put your education to work and get involved in interesting research projects.
This article was originally published in July 2019. It was updated and re-shared in September 2019.