What’s your story?
The Georgian community is full of unique, inspiring perspectives —and we’re sharing them as part of an ongoing series.
People of Georgian: Meet Dinesh Sherma Limbu
I love to call my friends and cook for them. That’s my passion. It just makes me feel so free.
Once I cook and then give it to people and … they enjoy it, that’s the best part. I’m not the kind of person who cooks all alone and eats it all themselves.
I learned from my mom, and I also learned from my cousin’s sister. That’s how I started cooking.
I’m (really) into cooking Nepali food. I love to cook different Indigenous foods that are available in my country. They’re really good.
Momos – that’s my favourite. It’s a fact that Nepalese people are too connected to momos because you get momo in every corner of Nepal. They eat momo for breakfast if they want; they eat momo for their lunch, dinner. If I don’t have momos for two or three days I think, ‘OK, it’s been too long. I need to make momos.’ Since coming to Canada there isn’t a week I haven’t eaten momos. I crave it. I love momos. I call it my baby – I can’t live without my momo.
Recipe: How to make momos
INGREDIENTS FOR MOMO DOUGH:
-300 g All Purpose flour
-150 to 160 ml water
INGREDIENTS FOR MOMO STUFFING:
-600 g ground chicken
-2 large white or red onions, finely chopped
-1/2 Cup spring onion
-3 teaspoon ground ginger
-Salt to taste (roughly 1 1/2 teaspoons)
-3 teaspoons vegetable oil or melted butter
INGREDIENTS FOR MOMO SAUCE:
-2 medium tomatoes
-Salt to taste
-Sesame seed powder
-Chilie flakes, as per your taste
-2 to 3 stalks of coriander leaves
HOW TO MAKE MOMO DOUGH:
1. Put the flour in one bowl and add water in it. Knead it together. You may add more water if the dough isn’t soft enough. It will get wetter as you keep kneading.
2. Knead continuously for 10 minutes.
3. Once your dough is ready, cut it into small pieces and make a ball.
4. Flatten the ball with your hands and/or rolling pin until it’s about eight to nine centimetres across.
HOW TO MAKE MOMO SAUCE:
1. Boil the tomatoes and blend it with chili flakes, salt, sesame seeds power, coriander leaves. Your sauce is ready to go to be served with the momos.
MOMOS: HOW TO PUT IT ALL TOGETHER
1. In one bowl, mix the ground chicken, onion, ginger, salt, oil or butter and onion, and mix it well.
2. Once your momo stuffing is ready, place some on a flattened dough ball and pinch the dough closed.
3. Before placing your momos in a steamer, spray some oil in it so they won’t stick.
4. Once water boils in a steamer, place your momos in and cook for 10 minutes. 5. Your momo is all good to go! Serve with momo sauce.