Co-operative Education/Internship Definition
Georgian College is a member of the Canadian Association of Co-operative Education (CAFCE), Education at Work Ontario (EWO) and the Canadian Association for Internship Programs (CAFIP) and abides by their Definition and Code of Ethics.
Co-operative Education is defined as a program that formally integrates a student’s academic studies with work experience in Co-operative employer organizations. The usual Co-op model followed is for students to alternate periods of work experience and academic study in appropriate fields of business, industry, government, social services and the professions according to the following criteria:
- Each work situation is developed and/or approved by the Co-operative educational institution as a suitable learning situation
- The student is engaged in productive work rather than merely observing
- The student receives remuneration for the work performed
- The institution monitors the student’s progress on the job
- The student’s performance on the job is supervised and evaluated by the student’s employer
- The total work experience is normally fifty percent (50%) of the time spent in academic study and in no circumstances less than thirty percent (30%).
Internship is an extended period of paid work experience that is an integral part of a program of post-secondary study. Students are employed in settings which provide work experience directly related to their academic programs and career objectives.
Education @ Work
Become one of our co-op partners and benefit from the following:
- Highly motivated students available for peak business periods, special projects, contracts or vacation relief
- You can observe an employee’s performance prior to making a permanent job offer
- Students bring enthusiasm and current technical knowledge to the work place
- Co-op students help you to enhance your corporate profile in the community and across the globe
- Tax credits and subsidiaries are available to eligible employers
Students are available for co-op work terms or seasonal employment at various times of the year. Most work terms start in May, September or January and are usually four months long. Internships are typically 12-weeks.