In an effort to provide college operations as fully as possible, Georgian’s closure procedure has been changed to allow for the possibility of re-opening campuses that have closed earlier in the day due to weather or other emergency situations.
A campus may be able to re-open if, for instance:
- Weather has improved and parking lots are cleared and sanded
- Hydro, heat or water has been interrupted but later restored
- Other similar circumstances have been resolved and it’s safe and practical to re-open
If the college is considering re-opening a campus later in the day, this possibility will be noted when the closure is first announced.
It will then be your responsibility to monitor the Georgian website, Blackboard and/or local news media to check whether classes and other operations will resume.
If campuses are re-opened, students and staff are expected to attend.
Timing of closures and openings:
- Every effort will be made to make decisions on closing by 6 a.m. and to communicate this news beginning by 6:30 a.m. If a re-opening for noon or evening classes is being considered, this will be mentioned in the 6:30 a.m. message.
For a noon opening, the decision will be made at 9:30 a.m. Communications will begin by 10 a.m.
- If a closure is expected to continue beyond noon, a decision will be made by 9:30 a.m. Communications will begin at 10 a.m.
- Decisions on evening classes will be made by 2:30 p.m. Communications will begin by 3 p.m.
- Decisions to close a campus may be made at any time (depending on emergency situations) and this will be communicated as quickly as possible by all available means.
Deciding to travel to Georgian:
- If you feel the weather is a risk to your personal safety, you must take responsibility and make travel decisions based on what’s best for you. Reasonable decisions will not put you at a disadvantage. If you are missing a class, exam, assignment or other deadline, you need to contact your instructor or the appropriate academic office to discuss alternative arrangements.