Make It Happen is the global 2015 theme for International Women’s Day – encouraging effective action that advances and recognizes women. Georgian is marking the event with an International Women’s Week. Activities include several community service learning projects (Faceless Dolls, Red Dress Project and more) as well as two key events:
- Making it Happen Tea, sponsored by Dean of Students Michele Beaudoin, is an opportunity for female staff and students to engage in a collaborative conversation about gender equity on campus. It takes place Thursday, March 12, from 2 to 4 p.m. in Room M126 at the Barrie Campus.
- Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Workshop is for all staff, faculty and students. It will take place on Friday, March 13, from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in Room K229A at the Barrie Campus. Participants will:
- Explore and evaluate the definition of consent (in the context of sexual activity)
- Examine common myths around sexual violence
- Identify and model appropriate bystander behaviors
- Discuss the role that organizations can take in preventing sexual assault
- List existing campus and community resources available to survivors of sexual violence
To take part in either or both events, please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, March 9 at 4 p.m.
The purpose of International Women’s Week at Georgian is to awareness about gender equity issues on campus while sparking conversation about the challenges that still need to be addressed.