Aspiring chefs from Ontario high school cooking courses competed for scholarships in a culinary competition at the Barrie Campus on April 25. This was the ninth annual event hosted by the college’s School of Hospitality, Tourism and Recreation. There were three categories: cooking, baking and restaurant service.
The competition introduces students to competitive cooking and enlightens them on the many career paths in the industry. This year, there was representation from schools in Barrie, Collingwood, Toronto, Mississauga, Huntsville and Gravenhurst. Entries were judged by a select group of professional chefs from the college and industry.
Winners received medals and cash prizes toward scholarships for Georgian’s Hospitality, Tourism and Recreation programs. This year, more than $9,000 was awarded. Sponsors from the local food service industry and business and organization partners provided donations for the scholarships.
Winners – cooking
- First place: Christine McLeish and Taylor Diceman, Twin Lakes Secondary School (Orillia)
- Second place: Allen Su and Trevor Nix, Danforth Collegiate and Technical Institute (Toronto)
- Third place: Chelsea Zavarelli and Marc Uy, Stephen Lewis Secondary School (Thornhill)
Winners – baking
- First place: Kelly Zhao and Oscar Su, Central Technical Institute (Toronto)
- Second place: Justin Ladouceur and Jeremy Dipietro, Huntsville High School (Huntsville)
- Third place: Rachel Terrio and Anthony Lasquite, Bear Creek Secondary School (Barrie)
Winners – restaurant service
- First place: Lena Tran and Aira-Zel Ignacio, St. Francis Xavier Secondary School (Mississauga)
- Second place: Miranda Adams and Meg Bartlett, Danforth Collegiate and Technical Institute (Toronto)
- Third place: Jerick Aranza and Dennis Nguyen, Thistletown Collegiate (Toronto)