Secondary school students from 15 schools across central Ontario competed in Georgian College’s annual High School Hospitality Competition on Tuesday, April 29.The winners received scholarships to attend School of Hospitality, Tourism and Recreation programs Georgian College. A total of 78 participants, from high schools between Toronto and North Bay, worked in pairs as cooking, baking or restaurant service teams.
The winners were:
– First: Dontae Thompson and Homira Aziza, Thistletown Collegiate (Etobicoke)
– Second: Cameron Lai and Austin Luc, St Francis Xavier Secondary School (Mississauga)
– Third: Jamie Watkinson and Tyler Crisp, Parry Sound High School (Parry Sound)
– First: Krystal-Jade Stanley-Parris and Leshia Richards, J. Clarke Richardson Collegiate (Ajax)
– Second: Joe McDonald and Michael Loureiro, Gravenhurst High School (Gravenhurst)
– Third: Megan Cole and Olivia Bruins, Huntsville High School (Huntsville)
– First: Raymund Santos and Nikko Crystal, John Cabot Catholic Secondary School (Mississauga)
– Second: Omi Chea and Justice Chea, Thistletown Collegiate (Etobicoke)
– Third: Lord Manalad and Harriet Sarmiento, St Francis Xavier Secondary School (Mississauga)
Cooking students prepared a three-course meal (first course, main entrée and dessert). Baking students prepared an array of baked goods (apple pies, banana muffins, white bread rolls, éclairs and choux puffs). Restaurant service students completed tasks including a table setting, mocktail preparation, and serving guests at a coffee service.
The goal of the annual event is to introduce students to competitive hospitality competitions and to enlighten them on the many career paths that the industry offers. At the same time, these talented high school students gain an introduction to Georgian College faculty, programs, and facilities.