This program, planned in co-operation with Transport Canada and shipping companies, offers complete preparation for those seeking employment as ship engineering officers. This program provides the best merchant marine engineer training in Canada and features the following:
- Six-month comprehensive basic skills training
- Co-operative training on-board Canadian and international merchant ships
- Courses supported by an equipped 16,000 square foot laboratory
- State-of-the-art propulsion systems simulator and workshop facility
For more information visit www.marinetraining.ca.
Why choose Georgian?
Georgian College is the only college in Ontario to offer a Marine Engineering Technology (co-op) program.
The program is delivered by experienced instructors using the most up-to-date training equipment in the world. Students benefit from a total of 210 days spent on co-op, which allows them to gain practical experience, and can expect to earn more than $60,000 after graduation.
More than 20 shipping companies who regularly accept co-op students.
The majority of co-op placements are spent on the Great Lakes but, some students choose to complete their co-op sailing in international waters.
- Basic skills training, which helps students develop proficiency in the safe use and care of all common hand tools and power tools and fasteners found onboard ships
- Engine room simulator courses, which all meet Transport Canada’s certification requirements
- Advanced firefighting course
- Safety, Training and Certification of Watchkeepers course, which are designed to provide students with safety training that will ensure many safe voyages
Industry supporters and donors
This program has a marine advisory committee, and multiple awards and scholarships donated by marine companies.
Graduates are able to sail internationally. However, the majority of students choose to work on the Great Lakes sailing on vessels that range from ferries to bulk carriers. There are also a number of land-based positions with shipping companies that a graduate can enter into.
Entry level salary range: $60,000+ / annum