The Georgian College Students’ Association (GCSA) is made up of a group of students on each campus. All positions are elected by the student body. This association ensures that students are represented properly at Georgian, from the day they arrive on campus to the day they graduate. GCSA also makes sure that student fees are spent in the most beneficial way for all students on all campuses.
What your student fees include
- Athletic Centre programs and equipment
- on-campus events such as hypnotists and mentalists
- activities such as the Colour Run and Winter Olympics
- free food events such as Yogurt Bar and Pancake Breakfast
- hiring students to help within the department
- Food Locker program for financially challenged students
- clubs and associations for like-minded students
How to reach us
Front office – Room 103
519.940.0331, ext. 5661
705.325.2740, ext. 3008
Owen Sound office
519.376.0840, ext. 2050
South Georgian Bay office
Room A105 (main office)
705.445.2961, ext. 2912
It is the Georgian College Students’ Association (GCSA) mission to positively enhance the student experience on campus.
GCSA (Barrie Campus) is also responsible for:
- hosting concerts and events
- administering the health and dental insurance plan via the Benefits Plan office (Barrie Campus, Room B119)
- publishing the Student Planner
- advocating on behalf of all students to ensure their rights are being upheld
GCSA offers a variety of student activities and services to cater to the diverse student population. GCSA supports many student clubs and associations and hosts a variety of events and works hard to provide Georgian College students with opportunities to make the very best of their time here.
Engage. Empower. Collaborate.
The Barrie Campus Georgian College Students’ Association (GCSA) will be a recognized and engaged executive council that promotes the rights of students, heightens student engagement, and enhances the quality of student life. It will prepare confident leaders of tomorrow, while respecting the diversity and strength of all, and continuously assess, adapt and grow to fit the needs of an increasingly diverse student body.
To advance the general welfare of all Georgian College students and:
- serve as a resource for students
- serve as a resource for faculty and staff
- act as liaisons to and from the Student Body and the college administration
- remain a major source of information to and from the Student Body
- recruit and develop student leaders within a professional culture to benefit the larger community; engage in purposeful community service
Collaboration | Integrity | Respect | Harmony
Goals and strategies
Act as an advocate for all students
- each VP will explore one substantial issue each semester
- fill all vacant positions in a timely manner
Maintain 100 per cent occupancy of student representative seats on all relevant college committees
To broaden and strengthen the visibility of GCSA
- increase the reach metrics of our social media presence by 10 per cent
- actively participate in all college-wide events (Orientation, Open House, etc.)
- renovate the GCSA office so that it is reflective of the college’s commitment to student advocacy
Ensure that administrative decision-making is transparent, inclusive, and accessible to all Georgian College stakeholders by encouraging students to attend weekly council meetings, posting minutes and budgets online, etc.
To collaborate with the campus and greater community
- create one student events calendar by planning and marketing events in partnership with FYE, the international department, Library and Academic Success
- develop an active partnership with at least three new community sponsors/partners by 2017
Foster a lifelong connection with Georgian College alumni to mobilize their many talents and assets in support of advancing Georgian’s overall mission
To facilitate student leadership development opportunities
- continue to offer at least two college-wide student leadership conferences per year
- partner with new student advisors to identify, connect and engage new student leaders
- embed intentional leadership development outcomes into all Student Executive Council Conferences
- increase collaboration with the academic areas to promote campus-wide co-curricular learning and the Co-Curricular Record (CCR)
To improve accessibility and inclusiveness
- offer students a diverse and balanced offering of social events including events that promote:
- student engagement
- social integration
- social and cultural awareness
- Grizzly pride and spirit
- student leadership
- holistic health promotion
- create and post an equity, accessibility and land acknowledgment statement on GCSA website
- secure at least one perishable food source for the Food Locker by the end of the 2017 academic year
- conduct an annual accessibility assessment of GCSA practices and facilities
To ensure wise stewardship of resources
- partner with other departments (FYE/International/Athletics) to share the costs for related events
- evaluate all GCSA events to ensure that they are meeting the needs of Georgian College students
- strike a SEC working group committee to review the possibility/feasibility of hosting at least two of the three SEC conferences at the Barrie Campus
GCSA President: Avery Konda
705.728.1968, ext. 5286
VP Administration: Kavisha Shah
705.728.1968, ext. 5287
VP Athletics and Health Promotions: Hellena Baechler
705.728.1968, ext. 5296
VP Internal Relations: Jake Chevrier
705.728.1968, ext. 5338
VP Marketing and Communications: Cassandra Ecclestone
705.728.1968, ext. 5298
VP External and Equity: Hunter Markle
705.728.1968, ext. 5241
VP Student Engagement: Paulo Cardoso
705.728.1968, ext. 5289
- responsible for overall direction of the student association
- advocates for the students on a college-wide basis
- represents students on several college committees including College Council
VP Internal Relations
- responsible for the Food Locker program
- oversees clubs and associations at Georgian College
VP Student Engagement
- responsible for planning events, entertainment and awareness weeks
- making sure to include a diverse range of activities and events to benefit all students
VP Athletics and Health Promotions
- responsible for athletic programming
- acts as a liaison between Athletics and GCSA and is the president of the Students’ Athletic Association (SAA)
VP Marketing and Communications
- responsible for promoting all GCSA events to the student population
- makes sure that all students have the opportunity to benefit from GCSA programming
VP of External and Equity
- responsible for the promotion of municipal, provincial and federal elections
- assist with planning for annual leadership conferences, training retreat, awards banquets and holiday parties
- assist with the co-ordination and planning of an annual charity event for the students on Barrie Campus
VP of Administration
- responsible for organizing and running student elections
- records meeting minutes and reports
- oversees the board of directors
Board of Governors student representative (any campus)
- sits on the Board of Governors to represent all Georgian College students
- represents the four campuses without a student council
GCSA recognizes those who get involved and make our school a better place. Every year, the Georgian College Students’ Association (GCSA) sponsors awards to deserving students.
Student Leadership Award #25314
Presented to students who have demonstrated leadership skills, are in good academic standing and have completed at least one successful academic semester. Applicants must also demonstrate one of the following:
- are involved in campus life (through GCSA, varsity, SWAT, orientation, extracurricular activities)
- represents Georgian College or have contributed to or enhanced student life
Applicants must clearly demonstrate how they meet the criteria in their cover letter. Recipient must be a permanent resident of Ontario and demonstrate financial need.
Award value is $1,000.
If you want to be the recipient of one of these awards, just get involved with GCSA – it’s easy, come in and ask us how!
You can also apply for the Brian Tamblyn Scholarship, sponsored by GCSA.
For more awards and scholarships, check out the awards and scholarships page on the Georgian College website. There are more than 75 to choose from!
The Georgian College Students’ Association (GCSA) is governed by two documents, the GCSA Constitution and the GCSA Bylaws. We record all of our meetings.
The GCSA Constitution is the document put together by the Students’ Executive Council (the Barrie, Orillia, and Owen Sound Georgian College Students’ Association) to provide guidelines for all student governance at Georgian College.
The Campus GCSA Bylaws govern the Georgian College – Barrie Campus Students’ Association. Each Georgian campus has specific bylaws outlining the GCSA’s job description, as well as policies and procedures.
The Georgian College Students’ Association (GCSA) holds weekly meetings during the fall and winter semesters to discuss student affairs. These meetings are open to anyone who wishes to sit in. Click on the links below if you missed a meeting or want to read our minutes.
Staff in the Student Life department are dedicated to helping students by providing professional guidance.
Manager, Student Leadership and Transition Services
705.728.1968, ext. 5274, email@example.com
Responsible for student leadership and governance, including advisement to GCSA and Student Life programs in Barrie, and for First Year experience and First Generation transition and advisement initiatives and academic success services, including learning strategies, peer services and learning labs.
705.728.1968, ext. 5290, firstname.lastname@example.org
Manages the day-to-day running of the GCSA office, oversees front desk reception, books external vendors and works closely with all Student Life departments.
705.728.1968, ext. 5295, email@example.com
Responsible for all graphic design for the Student Life department, including the Student Planner, TLC, TFC, GCSA and Orientation. Also maintains Student Life websites and TV system.
705.728.1968, ext. 5288, firstname.lastname@example.org
Maintains financial records for Barrie and Orillia campuses – GCSA Athletics, The Last Class and The First Class, The Den, accounts payable, accounts receivable, invoicing, monthly reconciliations, and inventory cost of goods sold.
Orientation and Transition Programming Co-ordinator
705.728.1968, ext. 1848, email@example.com
Responsible for Orientation, Get Connected, Stay Connected and all transition programming for new students.
For Student Centre Food and Beverage Operations staff, please visit GeorgianCollege.ca/campus-life/campus-food-services/the-last-class/contact-tab.
For Athletic Centre staff, please visit GeorgianCollege.ca/campus-life/athletics/contact/staff-tab.
Acknowledgement of the Land
The Georgian College Student Association respectfully acknowledges that our institution is situated on the traditional land of the Anishnaabeg people. The Anishnaabeg, meaning ‘The Good People’, are comprised of different Nations including the Odawa, Ojibwe, Chippewa, Mississaugas, Potawatomi, and Algonquin. The Anishnaabeg live in the spirit of the 7 grandfather teachings or guiding principles, these are honesty, love, truth, humility, wisdom, courage and respect. The Georgian College Student Association stands in solidarity with these teachings as we serve students in their scholastic and personal development.
Email us at any time, we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.
- GCSA President: firstname.lastname@example.org
- GCSA VP Internal (Academic, Student Initiatives): email@example.com
- GCSA VP External (Community Events, Community Networking): firstname.lastname@example.org
- GCSA VP Social (Pub Nights, Live Entertainment): email@example.com
- GCSA VP Athletics (Intramurals, Sports Road Trips): firstname.lastname@example.org
- GCSA VP Public Relations (Marketing, Communication): email@example.com
GCSA is committed to providing you with a variety of outside-the-classroom opportunities to learn, grow, have fun, make friends, network and build your resumé.
- intramural sports
- road trips to sporting events
- pub nights
- live entertainment
- fundraising campaigns
- Food Locker program
- movie nights
- student health and dental benefits
- community events
- tri-campus tournaments
- diversity and mental health campaigns
- charity fundraisers
- student job opportunities
- grad photos
- clubs and associations
And much more!
There is something for everyone.
GCSA Orillia is elected each school year by the general student population. GCSA advocates to college management and federal and provincial government on behalf of our students to ensure that each student has representation.
Take a look at our events page to see all of the upcoming GCSA events. Or check out the Get involved tab to see how you can get involved with GCSA! Under the Businesses tab, you can find information about The Den Restaurant and Pub, the Fitness Centre, and Printing Services – all of these businesses are GCSA-owned, and student run!
We hope you have an AMAZING time here at Georgian – Orillia, and look forward to seeing you at our events and in the halls.
GCSA President: Dana Basdeo
705.325.2740, ext. 3008
VP Athletics: Masha Bukshtinovich
705.325.2740, ext. 3038
VP Internal: Hannah Skarjak
705.325.2740, ext. 3033
VP Public Relations: Jessica Bredin
705.325.2740, ext. 3089
VP External: Erin Pattison
705.325.2740, ext. 3009
VP Social: Jacqueline Martineau
705.325.2740, ext. 3018
- serves as the chief executive officer of the Orillia Campus GCSA executive, provides leadership and guidance to all executive members
- holds a position on the College Council Board
- directs and supervises all GCSA events, activities and initiatives
- chairs weekly GCSA executive meetings, provides agenda
- attends regular meetings with the Student Life manager and the campus dean to share and discuss student issues and upcoming events
GCSA VP Internal
- assumes the duties of and acts as president in his/her absence
- co-ordinates, organizes, and chairs GCSA director meetings; communicates issues and promotes GCSA events and activities to all GCSA directors
- records the minutes at all GCSA executive and director meetings
- co-ordinates Food Locker program and annual food drive
- oversees all club and association activities on campus
GCSA VP External
- promotes municipal, provincial and federal elections (if applicable)
- assists with the co-ordination and planning of an annual charity event held at the school, with all proceeds benefiting the Orillia community
- organizes mental health, diversity and respect campaigns held on campus
GCSA VP Social
- organizes pub nights and live entertainment
- acts as a host for social events (e.g., introduces comedians, performers, live bands, etc.)
- is available at all student social functions and pubs
- maintains good working relationships with corporations and community agencies for partnership in hosting activities
- maintains social media groups (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, YouTube)
GCSA VP Athletics
- organizes intramural sports on and off campus
- assists with the co-ordination, organization and promotion of tri-campus extramural and recreational activities
- co-ordinates the Active Living Challenge at the Orillia campus
- organizes sports road trips (Blue Jays, Raptors, Colts, etc.)
GCSA VP Public Relations
- co-ordinates the advertisement and promotion of all GCSA events, activities and initiatives via announcements, posters, pamphlets, newspapers, banners, internet, digital media, etc.
- chairs the GCSA Promo Crew committee to provide them with the information needed to advertise to the general student population
- organizes the annual Shinerama Fundraiser for Cystic Fibrosis Canada
GCSA Orillia is a proud member of the College Student Alliance.
For more information about the CSA, please visit collegestudentalliance.ca.
We like to recognize those who get involved and make our school a better place. Every year, GCSA holds an awards night – Dine and Bash where we award students and staff with the following awards:
- Volunteer of the Year
- Shiner of the Year (for Shinerama)
- Program of the Year
- Employee of the Year – The Den
- Employee of the Year – Printing Services
- Employee of the Year – Fitness Centre
- Staff Appreciation Award
- Male Athlete of the Year
- Female Athlete of the Year
- Sportsman Like Award
- GCSA Director of the Year
- Student Life Award
- Shinerama Award
- President’s Trophy
- VIP Award
If you want to be the recipient of one of these awards, just get involved with GCSA. It’s easy – come in and ask us how!
Also, as a member of the CSA (College Student Alliance), one $1,000 scholarship is available to students at our school. Details on this scholarship come out in October.
You can also apply for the Brian Tamblyn Scholarship, sponsored by GCSA.
For more awards and scholarships, check out the Awards and scholarship page on the Georgian website. There are more than 75 awards available!
The GCSA is governed by two documents: the GCSA Constitution and the GCSA bylaws.
The GCSA Constitution is the document put together by the Students’ Executive Council (Barrie, Orillia, and Owen Sound GCSAs, plus representatives from each of the other campuses) to provide guidelines for all student governance at Georgian College.
Read the 2015 GCSA Constitution.
The 2016 GCSA Constitution currently under review to be voted on January 23, 2016. Please email any comments or concerns to Mike.Zecchino@GeorgianCollege.ca before January 22.
The GCSA bylaws govern the Georgian College Students’ Association, Orillia Campus. Each Georgian campus has its own set of bylaws. They outline the GCSA executive’s job description and procedure protocols.
Read the GCSA bylaws 2013-2014
Georgian Life newsletter
The Georgian Life is a student newsletter put together by Gail Hudson in Printing Services. It is your source for information on all GCSA events and initiatives. The newsletter is released regularly throughout the school year. For a copy, go to Printing Services or the GCSA office.
The GCSA holds weekly meetings during the fall and winter semesters to discuss student affairs. These meetings are open to anyone who wishes to sit in. To read the meeting minutes see below
- Strong Students. Strong Leaders. Strong Colleges.
The Georgian College Students’ Association (GCSA) belongs to the College Student Alliance (CSA). The CSA is a member-driven advocacy organization which proudly serves Ontario’s college and college-university students. The CSA currently represents over 70 per cent of all Ontario college students consisting of 16 colleges and 23 student associations with over 135,000 full-time students throughout the province.
As the only officially recognized voice for college and college-university students in Ontario, the CSA has a seat at the table of virtually every government and stakeholder committee and task force relating to postsecondary education. As a united voice through the CSA, college students have a powerful lobbying voice that is recognized for its depth of knowledge and ability to provide sustainable solutions to the issues facing postsecondary students.
CSA’s main competencies are advocacy related on behalf of its membership on all issues relating to college education including tuition, accessibility, quality and transferability. Independent of any political or organizational affiliations the CSA is dedicated to championing the needs of Ontario post-secondary students from the students’ perspective.
Additionally, the CSA works with each member Student Association – which includes the Georgian College Students’ Administrative Council – to ensure issues relating to their campus are addressed. Believing in the autonomy of each member student association, the CSA provides resources to enable and equip each member to better fulfil their role on campus.
The CSA is also active in supporting our member student associations as a partner when dealing with campus specific issues. We believe that our member student associations are the primary voice for their campuses and the CSA is committed to supporting that voice in whatever way deemed appropriate by our membership.
The Georgian College Students’ Association (GCSA), Owen Sound campus, is the enthusiastic student government for student life at Georgian College. Six members work together to ensure your student career is as enjoyable, and fun-filled as possible. Check out the rest of this website to see exactly what we do, or come see us in the GCSA office located outside the cafeteria.
Check us out on Facebook.
We plan many different events that suit students’ lifestyles. We have sports nights twice a week featuring a variety of different sports. We also have tournaments where you can get a group together and compete for prizes! If you like the social scene, we have themed pubs, and live entertainment featuring special guests. Click on our events tab for more information.
Do you enjoy being part of a club, or even being the president of your own? We have different clubs and associations that you can join to get to know people who have the same interests as you. Take a look at our Clubs and associations page to see the clubs that already exist, or to inquire about starting your own.
Do you like to get involved and give back to the community? We have numerous volunteer opportunities and ways to raise money for a wide variety of charities, giving you the chance to support something that touches your heart.
Maybe you want to work for Georgian College in our Fitness Centre, TLC Lounge, or TLC security? Check out our Get involved tab.
The GCSA works hard to provide Georgian College Owen Sound students with opportunities to make the best of their time spent here.
GCSA President: Ryder Christensen, 519.376.0840 ext. 2050, Ryder.Christensen@georgiancollege.ca
GCSA Vice President of Internal Relations: Jaclynn Gowan, 519.376.0840, ext.2059, Jaclynn.Gowan@georgiancollege.ca
GCSA Vice President of Administration: Brianna McLellan, Brianna.McLellan@georgiancollege.ca
GCSA Vice President of Athletics: Brian Wood, 519.376.0840, ext.2059, Brian.Wood@georgiancollege.ca
GCSA Vice President of Public Relations: Julia Bos, 519.376.0840, ext.2059, Julia.Bos@georgiancollege.ca
GCSA Vice President Social: Shauna Fenton, 519.376.0840, ext.2059, Shauna.Fenton@georgiancollege.ca
The GCSA President provides leadership and guidance to the GCSA executive by:
- keeping informed about what individual GCSA members are doing
- ensuring group cohesiveness and teamwork within the council
- holding GCSA members accountable to their position descriptions
- holding a position on the College Council board
- attending and chairing all GCSA executive meetings (except when a request has been made by another GCSA member to run a meeting)
- preparing and presenting agenda to the GCSA executive and the Student Life advisor 48 hours prior to the weekly meeting, at which time the GCSA executive may bring forth any items they wish to have added to the agenda
- acting as a liaison between GCSA and the Student Life advisor
- reading all GCSA mail and pass it on as necessary
- supervising and assisting to ensure that proper election procedures are met for the GCSA elections (unless re-running for a GCSA position)
- attending monthly honorarium meetings of all GCSA members and provide review of performance
- ensuring timely responses to all email in the President’s email account
GCSA Vice President of Internal Relations:
- assisting the President by representing him/her in his/her absence
- organizing class representative elections immediately following the start of fall semester and filling any vacant positions throughout the term
- communicating issues raised by class representatives
- promote GCSA activities to all class representatives via email once a week
- email a copy of class representative email mock-up to all of the GCSA and the Student Life advisor at least one day prior to sending so that additions may be added and/or corrections can be made; Cc the President, Student Life advisor, and Director of Administration
- attach a copy of the weekly meeting minutes to class representative email and post a copy on GCSA bulletin board
- keep chalkboards and whiteboard up-to-date
- check GCSA suggestion box regularly and raise any student concerns at weekly meeting
- assist with the co-ordination of GCSA elections (unless re-running for a position)
- attend President’s monthly honorarium meeting to provide review of performance
GCSA Vice President Social:
- co-ordinate, organize and plan all activities, events, and announcements to ensure adequate promotions and maximum attendance by students
- must attend all GCSA pub nights
- responsible for the selection and booking of bands and other entertainment
- responsible for the selection and booking of a DJ for GCSA pub nights
- maintain a list of contacts to be kept on file for reference (position binder)
- complete GCSA event report following each event
- keep GCSA informed of all bookings
GCSA Vice President of Athletics:
- oversee the co-ordination, organization, and promotion of all athletic events
- act as the Chief Executive Officer of all committees relating to athletics
- responsible for ensuring that all athletic rules, regulations, and policies are fair and equitable to all student groups and individuals
- ensure all event sign-in sheets are completed at each athletic event
- have all sports night and tournament sign-in sheets initialled by the President within one week of the event
- complete event report following each tournament and have it initialled by the President within one week of the event
- communicate any equipment requests or issues that may arise with equipment or sports nights/tournaments to the President
GCSA Vice President of Public Relations:
- keep the students informed of GCSA events
- informs the general public of council activities or events
- develops a good working relationship with local media
- takes meeting minutes in the absence of the Director of Administration
- approves publications of other interested parties prior to positing information on any GCSA advertising medium
- email a copy of all posters to the President and cc the event co-ordinator for approval prior to printing
- sign and file all poster request forms
GCSA Vice President of Administration:
- take accurate and detailed minutes of all GCSA meetings and distribute within 48 hours
- keep up-to-date supply list and forwarding this list, as needed, to the Student Life advisor
- keep Georgian College – Owen Sound Facebook Group up to date
- keep up-to-date minutes binder and make available to GCSA and students
- read and document motions that take place during a GCSA meeting
- assist with the co-ordination of GCSA elections (unless re-running for a position)
The GCSA is governed by two documents, the Constitution and the bylaws. We record all meetings.
The GCSA Constitution is the document put together by the Students’ Executive Council (Barrie, Orillia, and Owen Sound Students’ Administrative Council) to provide guidelines for all student governance at Georgian College.
The 2016 GCSA Constitution is currently under review and will be voted on Jan. 23, 2016. Please email any comments or concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org before Jan. 22.
The GCSA bylaws govern the GCSA, Owen Sound Campus. Each Georgian Campus has its own set of bylaws outlining GCSA job description and procedure protocols.
The GCSA holds weekly meetings during the fall and winter semesters to discuss student affairs. These meetings are open to any student who wishes to sit in. Click on the links below if you missed a meeting and want to read our minutes.