I’ve had a great experience at the Canadian Automotive Institute. Three years after stepping foot in the door for the first time, I’ve come a long way and accomplished things I could have never dreamed of. I recently came across an old project I submitted approximately a year ago, where I listed my career aspirations as two options: Become a paid automotive journalist, or work in the public relations department of a major automotive manufacturer. I can now say that I’ve done both, and oddly enough, the latter is the reason for this farewell to Auto Addiction.
For anyone that’s ever taken the time to read my automotive ramblings and opinions, I would like to thank you for humouring my so-called insights. From March 2011 to December 2011, I tested and reviewed 38 different nameplates from 19 different manufacturers. Some were good, some were bad, and a few were great, but all of them were different and each had their own redeeming qualities. So to you, the automotive enthusiast, I extend a heartfelt thanks. If it wasn’t for you, there wouldn’t be people like me doing this stuff, and I loved every single minute of it.
Quite frequently I get asked, what’s the best car you’ve ever driven? That’s a difficult question, one that I can’t ever give a straight answer to, so for you, here’s my compilation of favourites out of the last year and some fun facts just because.
March – December 2011
- Approximate kilometers driven: 29,945
- Average fuel economy: 10 L/100 km
- Lightest vehicle tested: 2012 Fiat 500 / 2012 Hyundai Accent (tied) – 2,434 lb
- Heaviest vehicle tested: 2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost – 5,577 lb
- Most powerful vehicle tested: 2011 Cadillac CTS-V SportWagon – 556 hp
- Least powerful vehicle tested: 2012 Fiat 500 – 101 hp
- Most fuel efficient vehicle (real-world average): 2011 Kia Optima Hybrid – 6.7 L/100 km
- Least fuel efficient vehicle (real-world average): 2011 Cadillac CTS-V SportWagon – 16.8 L/100 km
- Most expensive vehicle tested: Cadillac CTS-V SportWagon – $74,820
- Least expensive vehicle tested: 2012 Hyundai Accent – $18,694
Best SUV – 2011 Volkswagen Touareg TDI
Best Subcompact Car – 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Best Compact Car – 2011 Honda Civic Si
Best Family Car – 2011 Kia Optima SX
Best Performance Car – 2011 Cadillac CTS-V SportWagon
- Chuck Reimer for Auto Addiction -