Steps leading to a Second Career
Second Career is an Ontario government program that helps laid-off workers get the skills training they need for high demand jobs in their communities. Second Career helps Ontarians get the funding for the education or training required to get a better job.
It is a cost-sharing grant provided on the basis of need, which provides funding help up to $28,000 to pay for:
- Living expenses
- Help caring for dependents
- Disability supports
- Other living and training costs
In order to find out if you qualify for Second Career or any other government funding, all candidates must visit an Employment Ontario assessment centre for an assessment interview. To find a case manager near you, please click here.
For more information on Second Career, please visit the Ontario Second Career website.
Please see our listing of full-time programs for additional information.
These programs may be eligible under Second Career. Your case manager at your assessment centre will help you determine an appropriate program.
Once you and your case manager have decided on a program, you can apply to the college through Ontario Colleges (OCAS).
January 2015 offerings
Offerings for January 2015 are in the process of being posted. Keep checking for updates.
- Automotive Business – AUBU (Barrie)
- Business BUSN (Barrie)
- Business (Co-op) BUSG (Barrie)
- Business Accounting BACN (Barrie)
- Business Accounting (Co-op) BACT (Barrie)
- Business Entrepreneurship BENT (Barrie)
- Business Fundamentals BSFN (Barrie)
- Business Marketing BMKN (Barrie)
- Business Marketing (Co-op) BMKT (Barrie)
- Computer Programmer COPR (Barrie)
- Computer Systems Technician -Networking (Co-op) CSTN (Barrie)
- Culinary Management (Co-op) CULN (Barrie)
- Culinary Skills – Chef Training CULS (Barrie)
- Dental Assisting DNAS (Barrie)
- Early Childhood Education ECED (Orillia)
- Electrical Techniques ELTQ (Midland)
- Fitness and Health Promotion FHPR (Barrie)
- Fundraising and Resource Development FUND (Orillia)
- Gas Technician GAST (South Georgian Bay)
- Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Technician HRAC (South Georgian Bay)
- Hospitality Management HMGT (Barrie)
- Human Resource Management HRMN (Barrie)
- Law Clerk LCLR (Barrie)
- Massage Therapy Fast Track MASF (Barrie)
- Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant OPTA (Barrie)
- Office Administration Executive OFAE (Barrie)
- Office Administration General OFAG (Barrie)
- Office Administration General OFAG (Muskoka, Orangeville, South Georgian Bay)
- Office Administration Medical OFAM (Barrie)
- Office Administration Medical OFAM (Orangeville, South Georgian Bay)
- Opticianry (Co-op) OPTI (Barrie)
- Personal Support Worker PSWR (Barrie)
- Personal Support Worker PSWR (Muskoka, Orangeville, South Georgian Bay)
- Pharmacy PHRM (Barrie)
- Plumbing Techniques PLTQ (Midland)
- Police Foundations PFPR (Orillia)
- Practical Nursing PNRS (Barrie, Owen Sound)
- Practical Nursing PNRS (Orangeville)
- Pre-Health Sciences PRHS (Barrie, Owen Sound)
- Pre-Health Sciences PRHS (South Georgian Bay)
- Pre-Service Firefighter Education and Training FIRE (Barrie)
- Research Analyst RAPP (Barrie)
- Social Service Worker SSWK (Orillia)
- Tourism and Travel TRVL (Barrie)
- Welding Techniques WETC (Midland)
Fall 2014 offerings
- Addictions Treatment and Prevention – ADTP (Orillia)
- Anishnaabemowin Language Programming- ANLP (Barrie)
- Architectural Technician (Co-op)- ARTC (Barrie)
- Automotive Business AUBU (Barrie)
- Business Accounting – BACN (Barrie)
- Business Accounting (Coop) – BACT (Barrie)
- Business Entrepreneurship – BENT (Barrie)
- Business Marketing – BMKN (Barrie)
- Business Marketing (Coop) – BMKT (Barrie)
- Bookkeeping- BOKP (Muskoka, South GB)
- Business (Co-op)- BUSG (Barrie, Owen Sound)
- Business Fundamentals – BSFN (Muskoka, South Georgian Bay)
- Business- BUSN (Barrie)
- Cabinetmaking Techniques-CABT (Barrie)
- Carpentry Techniques- CART (Owen Sound, Barrie)
- Carpentry Techniques-CART (Muskoka)
- Computer and Network Systems Security-CNSS (Barrie)
- Communicative Disorders Assistant- CODA (Barrie)
- Computer Programmer (Coop) – COPR (Barrie)
- Computer Systems Technician – Networking (Coop) – CSTN (Barrie)
- Culinary Management (Coop) – CULN (Barrie, Owen Sound)
- Culinary Skills – Chef Training – CULS (Barrie, Owen Sound)
- Civil Engineering Technician – Construction (Co-op)-CVTN (Barrie)
- Heating, Refrigeration and AC Technician (HRAC)
- Dental Assisting – DNAS (Barrie)
- Dental Hygiene – DNTH (Barrie)
- Digital Photography and Imaging- DPAI (Barrie)
- Developmental Services Worker- DSWR (Orillia)
- Early Childhood Education – ECED (Orillia, Owen Sound)
- Electrical Techniques – ELTQ (Owen sound)
- Electrical Techniques – ELTQ (Midland)
- Environmental Technician (Co-op)- ENTN (Barrie)
- Fitness and Health Promotion-FHPR (Barrie)
- Fine Arts-FIAR (Barrie)
- Pre-Service Firefighter Education and Training – FIRE (Barrie)
- Fundraising and Resource Development – FUND (Orillia)
- Gas Technician – GAST (Barrie, Owen Sound)
- Graphic Design Production-GRDP (Barrie)
- Hospitality Management – Hotel and Resort (Co-op) – HMGT (Barrie)
- Human Resource Management – HRMN (Barrie)
- Interior Decorating- INDC (Barrie)
- Interior Design- INTE (Barrie)
- Interactive Web Design- IWDD Barrie
- Jewellery and Metals-JMET (Barrie)
- Law Clerk – LCLR (Barrie)
- Massage Therapy Fast Track – MASF (Barrie)
- Marine Engineering Techician -METC (Owen Sound)
- Mechanical Techniques – Marine Engine Mechanic- MTME (Midand)
- Mechanical Technician – Precision Skills (Co-op)- MTPS (Barrie)
- Mechanical Techniques – Small Engine Mechanic-MTSE (Midland)
- Office Administration Executive – OFAE (Owen Sound, Barrie)
- Office Administration General – OFAG (Barrie, Owen Sound)
- Office Adminstration – Medical-OFAM (Barrie)
- Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant-OPTA (Barrie)
- Opticianry (Co-op)-OPTI (Barrie)
- Paramedic-PARA (Barrie)
- Power Engineering Technician (Co-op)-PETN (Owen Sound)
- Police Foundations – PFPR (Orillia, Owen Sound)
- Pharmacy Technician-PHRM (Barrie)
- Practical Nursing PNRS (Barrie, Owen sound)
- Pre-Health Sciences – PRHS (Barrie, Owen Sound)
- Pre-Health Sciences – PRHS (Muskoka, Orangeville. South Georgian Bay)
- Protection, Security and Investigation-PSIN (Orillia)
- Personal Support Worker – PSWR (Barrie, Owen Sound)
- Personal Support Worker – PSWR (Muskoka, Orangeville, Midland, South Georgian Bay)
- Plumbing Techniques-PLTQ (Midland)
- Research Analyst-RAPP (Barrie)
- Social Service Worker – SSWK (Orillia)
- Therapeutic Recreation-TREC (Orillia)
- TOURISM AND TRAVEL (CO-OP) – TRVL (Barrie)
- Veterinary Technician (Co-op) -VETC (Orillia)
- Welding Techniques – WETC (Midland)
- Welding Techniques – WETC (Owen Sound)
Returning student please complete the following process:
1. Obtain your invoice from Georgian College
Please note: Only first-semester students will receive an invoice. Returning students (in semester 2 or greater) must request an invoice in person at the Office of the Registrar, Barrie Campus (c170) or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Once you receive your invoice, forward a copy to your case manager, along with a grade report you have printed from your Banner account.
- To print your grade report, log into your Banner account
- Select Academic Records
- Select display Georgian College Transcript (unofficial)
- Transcript level – all levels
- Transcript type – web
3. Arrange to make your tuition fee payment by the due date that appears on your invoice.
4. If your MTCU funding has not come through by the due date, you may make a minimum payment of $100 to confirm your seat, with the full balance being due upon receipt from MTCU.
5. Continue to check your Banner account to view your registration date and time.
Georgian College information
- Admissions and registration
- Finanical Aid information
- Important dates
- Frequently asked questions – information about the Communications Placement Assessment (CPA) and much more
- Parking at Georgian
- Program fee refunds
- Georgian College Key Performance Indicators (KPI) – employment stats
Students applying to full-time studies at Georgian College must submit a completed application to the Ontario College Application Services (OCAS). There is an application fee payable to OCAS. Applications may be submitted online at www.ontariocolleges.ca or can be mailed to:
Ontario College Application Services
60 Corporate Ct.
Guelph, ON N1G 5J3
Second Career starts with a visit to an Employment Ontario Assessment Centre. A counsellor will talk to you about your goals, and the kind of help you need. If Second Career is the right choice for you, the counsellor will help you prepare a training plan and apply for Second Career.
Second Career can help you train for a new career in many high-demand careers in areas such as:
- Health Care
- Natural and applied sciences and related areas
- Computer and information systems
- Business, finance and administration
You are required to research the local labour market to support the demand for the chosen occupational goal. You may find the Job bank a helpful site to gather labour market information.
If you do not have your Grade 12 diploma, meet the admission requirements of a college program, feel you are ready to work at the post-secondary level or are concerned about your academic skills, you may benefit from Georgian’s academic upgrading and college preparation programs. Visit Georgian College and Career Prep for information.
Second Career is a new Ontario government program to help people who have been laid off any time after January 01, 2005. The program will help unemployed workers who commit to a training plan make the transition to new careers in growing areas of the economy. Second Career can help an applicant with the cost of tuition, books, living expenses, and other costs associated with the training to build skills for a new career. Other Employment Ontario programs like Skills Development also provide support for training.
If you’re interested in exploring a second career, you first need to complete a Return to Work Action Plan through an Employment Assessment Centre nearest you.
If your Return to Work Action Plan identifies that you need training, you will be provided with the appropriate application package. The application requires you to research training providers in your chosen occupation. One of the training providers you need to research must be a public college. Georgian College is pleased to offer information and support to individuals researching their second career options.
For more information, contact Georgian College’s Second Career Strategy specialists.
Eligible clients are people who have been laid-off any time after January 01, 2005. These applicants include EI claimants, EI Reachback and individuals who are not EI eligible.
Funding may be available through the MTCU (Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities) Second Career Strategy for those who qualify. Georgian College advisors can guide you through the process of collecting information needed for your application; however, MTCU grants the funding, not the colleges themselves.
For further information about Second Career at Georgian, contact:
705.728.1968, ext. 1575
If you have questions related to your OCAS application with Georgian you can contact:
705.728.1968, ext. 1722
If you have questions regarding your Second Career application, please contact your case manager.
You may also contact an Employment Assessment Centre.