|Fall 2017||South Georgian Bay, Owen Sound, Orangeville, Muskoka, Midland, Barrie|
|Winter 2018||Orangeville, Muskoka, Barrie|
|Summer 2018||South Georgian Bay, Owen Sound|
This program is designed to prepare students with the knowledge and skills needed to provide support services to people living at home, in long term care or acute care facilities, and to function as integral members of the health care team. Upon successful completion of this program, the graduate will have demonstrated the ability to effectively communicate with clients, families and members of the health care team. They will also have demonstrated their ability to provide safe and competent care for individual clients who are experiencing physical, cognitive, emotional and behavioural challenges. Personal Support Workers (PSWs) are unregulated health care providers who work under the supervision of a regulated health care professional or in the supported independent living environment under the direction of the client.
OSSD or equivalent with
- Grade 12 English (C or U)
You must meet ONE of the following requirements to be eligible for admission to these programs:
Secondary school applicants:
- OSS Curriculum: OSSD or equivalent Grade 12 English (C ) or ( U ) (ENG4C, ENG4U) is strongly recommended and will be used in selection. Also recommended: Grade 11 College Biology (SBI3C).
Non-Secondary school applicants (19 years or older):
- Any credit Communication course taken at Georgian College
- College preparatory programs including those taken at Georgian College: Pre-health Sciences*
- Equivalent courses in English taken through secondary school or Independent Learning Centres (at the general, advanced, college or university level)
- Academic and Career Entrance Certificate (ACE) program with communications
- Mature student testing in English that meets the minimum standards for admission (available through most testing services)*
- Ontario High School Equivalency Certificate (GED)
- English, Literature or Communication credit courses from accredited colleges/universities
Home school applicants:
- Applicants can write the mature student testing in English that meets the minimum standards for admission (available through testing services)*
* available from Georgian College. For a complete listing please contact the Office of the Registrar.
View the Personal Support Worker articulations on the Credit Transfer Centre page.
- PSWR1027 Professional Foundations of PSW 1
- PSWR1026 Supportive Care 1
- PSWR1025 The PSW in the Community
- PSWR1029 Health Challenges
- PSWR1030 Supportive Care 2
- PSWR1031 Professional Foundations of PSW 2
- BIOL1014 The Essential Body
Professional Practice Courses
- PSWR1033 PSW Professional Practice 1 Long Term Care
- PSWR1034 PSW Professional Practice 2 Community